Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Thought Process

Since the first post, I've mentioned several times about "Thinking Process". So, what does it mean?

To me, it's more like a ritual that I go through...subconsciously, every time...before I wake up...and more consciously, after...

I am one of those that is very bad with names and faces...I can immediately forget the name of a person as soon as we let go after an introduction handshake but I can recall a conversation years later.

With my argumentative and "Ai Yhia" nature (Always want to Win...which is slightly different from Kiasu), whenever I'm in a discussion or debate, it just flow through in my mind in split seconds so that I can "Argue" or "Counter" a particular point from a different angle.

Of course, without a doubt, "Experience" and "Knowledge" plays a huge role during these meetings but if one cannot draw upon them when required, there's really pointless to even having them...

"Knowing when to Speak Up and when to Shut Up" is another result of the "Thought Process"...apart from having "Your Presence Felt"...although my brain never really tells me "When To Shut Up"...kakaka...

Honestly, you are really not contributing or having your presence felt when there's loads of relevant information and applicable experience in your brain but not shared at the right moment. The "Right Moment" is also very crucial as you must stay relevant trhoughout the entire discussion...just imagine how awkward it will be to bring up a subject or point when everyone has move on to other subject matter...

For some strange reasons, my mind thinks and my memory stores information in a flow very similar to the Brief format. Using an Agency Brief or Creative Brief as an example, that is created to stimulate Creative Department to generate the Concept/Idea to address the needs of the clients.

The flow below is the "Ritual" I go through:

Background
V
Objective
V
Strategy
V
References
V
Action Plan
V
Execute

Here's an example of how it works...

Imagine during a discussion where the clients wanted to have a Consumer Event. The discussion point is about having an International Act/Performer.

Start thinking about the implications, budget & cost factor, timing issues, relevancies that will help strengthen your point of view, the "Background".
Then, move into asking yourself, why did the client wants an International Act and what will it achieve to meet the main objective of the campaign to form the "Objective".
By now, you should be either agreeing or disagreeing to the point. What is your "Strategy" or reason to agree/disagree with the point.
The "Reference" will help with the why you agree/disagree as this help build a case for your points (Apart from other examples, items you stored away from "Background" will also help).
From there, the "Action Plan" will be about exactly how and what you'll be saying to agree/disagree.
Finally, "Execute"...say it.

The beautiful thing about this flow, is the "Background", "Objective" and "Reference" actually help speed up the next "Thinking Process" as those are relevant information if someone else table another point of view where you can immediately agree or disagree and explain the reason behind your view through those information. I call it "Advance Thinking Process".

Typing this post also made me realise the real reason behind why I can always immediately respond/react every time during discussion or meetings...hehehe...

Try it out...you might be surprised with the result. And once you get the hang of it, you should take the next level by initiating some thing new...


Reading today's Star, I came across two funny comics strips...apart from the funny side of it...I also see the relevant of Hagar The Horrible to this blog and Calvin And Hobbes to LIfe...

After all...I am still me...a Chun Toi with Cracks...


3 comments:

  1. nice read. reminds me of BAT's meetings Buffet.
    Breakfast meeting, Noon Hi-team Meeting, Dinner Buffet Meeting... Night Supper meeting... and I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a way...actually, in a big way...I missed it too...especially the "Argument bits"...hahaha...
    Hav u try it? Does it work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good train of thought there. will try to remember and use it whenever i can.

    ReplyDelete