Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Motivated and De-Motivated

What are you doing now? Reading my Blog? Hahaha...isn't it as obvious as the Cracks on the Chun Toi? It's an Asian "common illness"...hehehe...

Motivation and Demotivation are also common subjects that everyone is exposed to every day but it is definitely one of the toughest subjects to crack. Furthermore, it's only a very very fine line bewteen the two...one simple insignificant gesture can sometime swing it from one to another...

Motivating an individual or a group is one of the most difficult task of a leader, especially when everyone "Thinks" and "Wants" different things and have different values in life.

On the other hand, Demotivating can be as easy as a snap of the fingers and all the effort will go down the drain.

Last week, I was watching a sport program, NBA Action, in one of the segment, a player from Charlotte Bobcats was interview when the team slipped into a series of defeats.

His words were what caught my attention...”Negativity is very contagious”...when a team member is not on top of his game, it’ll easily affect the rest of the team, it can be as simple as not doing the usual things and it can go on for a number of games...especially if that player is the inspiration of the team like Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwayne Wade...

There are a lot of factors that could cause staff demotivation. Unappreciative & unrewarding organisation, unclear & incapable leaders, uncooperative & unsupportive team members, unreasonable & over-demanding clients besides the usual personal problems...and these, are just on the surface...

In an organisation, when morale is low and everyone is demotivated, most often than not, they look for inspirations from their leader/s.
However, what if, demotivation is actually caused by the leader directly or indirectly? What do you do then?

Most would look for the easy way out, quit. Perseverance to overcome the issues are almost non-existence these days. The most common reason is trying to solve too many problems at the same time and as a result, everything falls apart.

Putting blames on others are the other common result of demotivation. What most failed to realise is, somehow, somewhere, someone started it... That is why, motivation and demotivation is actually self manifested and it all begins in the ones mind.

Negativity is an attitude. While negative attitude is contagious, so can positive attitude!Check Spelling Always look at the brighter side of things should be embraced by every one...

The easiest solution is isolating the problems and start addresing them one-by-one. Even the smartest people like Albert Einstein need to solve one methamatic problem at a time.

Monetary rewards such as increments and bonuses are without a doubt a major motivating factor in today's society...to me, it is not and has never been the most important factor in my career as I have been "suffering" from "Highly Under Paid" for years but my "Professionalism" supersedes all those negative factors... What is enough anyway???

After I hand in my resignation letter to G2 last year, I was asked to reconsider my decision again with
1) Stay in G2KL having a bigger role...eventually,
2) Move to G2 Regional Hub with an increment and promotion, or
3) Maintain my final decision to leave.
As promised, I did reconsider. I ensured that I put my commitment to my future, my work, my team, my brands and my clients in front of the monetary package of every scenario so that it will not cloud my judgement...well, the rest is history...

Which brings me to the article on today's Star Metro Classifieds, it offers 10 Tips to "Be Happy At Work". I would like to highlight to you, three of the ten tips...No.5-Ramp Up Your Skills, No.6-Romance Yourself At Work and No.10-Remember, It's All About Your. (Note: Money is not mentioned in the article at all...).

If you stop manifesting negative thoughts in your mind...you will be more and more positive...a Yellow Post-it Note is just a Yellow Post-it Note...nothing more...it can represent negativity, it can also represent positivity. Negativity, you can choose to adress it or let it affect you...Your choice!

After all, if you stay positive, you'll be a positive Chun Toi...although there are Cracks...but still a positive Chun Toi...just like me, I'm still me...a Chun Toi with Cracks...

Gong Hei Fatt Choy to the Chun Toi Universe!!!

4 comments:

  1. bro, u can take over the Star Classified's articles about work ethics n stuffs la.
    g00d read

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha...u seems 2b my only regular supporter lah...hahaha...
    glad tat u like it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've read it... i believe its posted for many reasons and many readers... including myself. good job!

    ReplyDelete