Wednesday, January 27, 2010

LCLY 2

A few words before today's subject:

To Ivan: Increased Font Size should help release some strain on your tired eyes...it could be other things that is causing the blurred vision, mate...(Cantonese calls it Gook Jing Siong Lou).

To Winnie: You're not really that old, girl...just matured and unavailable...hahaha...

To All: The Blog is from ME to YOU. The intention is not to glorify myself but hoping you'll be able to capture the essences behind the stories...my stories, from my experience and knowledge...that is the reason why there's a lot of me me me I I I...try to look beyond those words.

To All: Don't just "Bong Chan" or "Bei Mienn" for the sake of "Bong Chan" or "Bei Mienn". I share because I care while you should read because (With the hope that) maybe you could take something away.

To All: Thank you very much for your kind words and feedback so far...really hope that you enjoy reading them.

To Ian: I'm satisfying your request today...

To Chun Son & Larry: I believe you'll definitely agree with the facts I'll be presenting today...

To Chun Son (Whom we use to call each other Chun Heng): Thanks for refreshing my memory.

To Zul: I'm sorry!!!

This is a very long one...

I guess, LCLY also applies to work relationship especially in a Client-Supplier relationship...(Starting to see where I'm driving this post yet?...hehehe...) which is also applicable to a Leader-Subordinate relationship.

Back in the days when I was still a Producer, living in a bright world of cigarette advertising, the combinations of many facts made me a Damn F...king Terrible client to deal with...facts like handling the biggest advertiser in Malaysia, holding the budget that could mean more revenue to their organisation, knowing the INs & OUTs of post production business, total disregard of Time...especially other's Time and not to mention my LCLY-ness...


Once, I even made a junior producer (A Malay dude, Zul...), ride his bike from Plaza Damansara all the way to Old Klang Road to bungkus Bak Kut Teh for me...BAK KUT TEH wwweeeiii...it doesn't matter now what he's done to deserve it but the point is, that's how F..K UP I was! It was beyond arrogant/LCLY!! It was totally unacceptable!!!

Late last year, I met Zul again in Wisma Genting, I apologised on my F..K UP behaviour over and over again but I know all too well, no matter what I do or say will not reverse the damages that I've done even though he has forgiven me... Another matter of fact, I still regret it until this very moment. Again, I'm Sorry, Zul!!!

Now, again, if that 40years old dude told me 14-15years ago that I have absolutely no rights even as a client and I would regret doing such a despicable act, "Yau Mo Kau Lan Chor?"...would be my respond. But, Zul, could be my client one day and I will deserve whatever treatment that he decides.

As I mentioned on my farewell note a few weeks back, I know I have stepped on many toes, in Zul's case, it more than just a toe...the people I've stepped on during my Producer days has the worst of me...Minta Ampun Kawan-Kawan Sekalian.

In G2, after all, we are supplier to BAT (As much as we want to see it going as a partnership, there is without a doubt, a boundary that is often, blurred...especially with the junior ranks...) and in turn, we are also client to a large number of suppliers.

Every G2 Personnel deals with three groups of people:

1. The Internal Personnel

2. The BAT Personnel

3. The Suppliers

People always questioned why I always "F..K" my subordinates or internal personnel first?

Those that do not know me, passing by the corridors, their impression of me apart from I'm a LCLY person and Loud Mouth, is also always "F..King" people (Therefore, a very scary person to work with...or reporting to...).

What they failed to see, is the reason for me to "F..K" my subordinate. They don't realise that I don't simply "F..K" someone without a good reason or a background. Most importantly, even to those that claimed that I always "F..K' them, didn't manage to see through it or understand it...that the mistake they made, was simply too silly or it's been repeated many times especially when the things that we worked on (In G2 for BAT), are not new at all!

Simply put it...they get it because...

They represent G2 (under my supervision).

They failed to "Think Further".

They failed to manage the project.

They failed to deliver as promise (Don't even talk about over delivering if they can't even deliver as expected).

They failed to manage the clients.

They failed to realise that, eventually, suppliers will be forced to produce the goods/services in an un-imaginable time limit yet penalised when shit happens.

They failed to see the big picture...the Year End Agency Evaluation.

With all the processes and systems in place, there's shouldn't be anything that can creeps up at the "Last Minute". This will only means the Timeline is not managed properly and most importantly, there's simply not enough "Thinking" and "Questioning" behind the project that allows the progress to sway.

Although, indecision or failure to make a final decision on a given time from clients could be detrimental to the success of a project which can lead to more stress to everyone involved but the first question should be asked is..."Have we provided enough info and background for them to make that call?". If we have, then we have every rights to question why haven't they make a decision?

I guess, it can be seen as a form of challenging the clients but if you have done your part, there really isn't any reason for them to delay a decision...(Which is the part where some BAT guys felt that I'm rude when dealing with them in this subject...hehehe...).

If we are serious about having a "Partnership" in a client-supplier relationship with our clients, we MUST first be able to promote that partnership relationship with all our suppliers...It's only fair.

I got this quote from The Late Show With David Letterman the other night..."Stand For Something Or You'll Fall For Anything".

Know where you are, what you are doing and why are you doing it.

Maintain that stance, someone will be able to notice and appreciate that...I believe this is one thing that I have improved through the years where I don't think that I'm blowing my own horn by saying that suppliers (Where a lot of them became my friends) that worked with me know that I'm a fair person...

After all that...Although I've change but I am still me...a Chun Toi with Cracks...

P/S: The "F..K" means Scold and not what some of you might think...hehehe...

5 comments:

  1. Working with you must be a 'living hell', and that's putting it mildly. Glad I didn't cross your path back then, otherwise I am definite we WON'T be friends today. Happy that you have finally woken up and realised what a SCUMBAG (that's putting it mildly too, the actual word would be too harsh) you have been . :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know...sigh...that is why I hope no one follows those ugly footsteps.
    That is why...all six "Followers" of my blog...none of them are my ex-staff...
    That is also why...my answer to Paul Chong's question now is still not very far from that Big Fat Zero...
    They have not "Wake Up" but I hope "One Day Soon"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok Ok...I want to apologise to Alison (Soo Soo Kambing me) for whatever I've put her through as well...which I still can't remember...
    Please refresh my memory when we meet up for Yam Cha...hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol
    thanks for fulfilling my request but whatever u have written in LCLY2 was so educational than normal chuisui(crap)... but thx, it was a good read.

    ReplyDelete