Monday, January 25, 2010

A Brand New Week

Started my working life in March 1990 as a Tape Operator (Assisting Online Editor operating all video tape machines) in Asia Pacific Videolab (APV) merely after one semester into my Graphic Design course, at the time when Video Post Production business was booming.

Went through hell during the early days of APV, learning about the process and operation of Post Production business...but my goal was to learn everything as soon as possible and start to learn new greater things or move on to more senior position.

About a year later, seniors that "taught" me, was asking me questions on how to operate certain function of those complicated machines...I was (In a way) teaching old dogs new tricks.

Anyway, my progress in terms of gaining more knowledge was faster than all my seniors, moving into offline editing ahead of some seniors caused some emotional tensions amongst operation staff...

My special interest in 2D & 3D Graphics and Animation also gave me an added advantage over my seniors...suddenly, I was a "Go To Guy" on major projects (Especially Dunhill TVCs and TV Promo) due to my dedication and versatility in operating multiple editing systems.

Circumstances and Opportunity crossed path at the same time in Q3-Q4 1992, I joined my first advertising agency in January 1993, Peter Beaumont & Friends (PB&F). A new establishment then, splitting away from Leo Burnett due to conflicting accounts between Marlboro (Global Alignment) and Dunhill. They identified me as a suitable candidate to meet their long term goals.

The combination of the visions of the directors in PB&F and my knowledge in post production resulted in an Agency's Audio Visual Department that also provide Offline Editing services. Apart from an AV Producer, I also became an Offline Editor. From then, we edited all TV Promo internally. Along the way, I also Art Directed a number of TV Promo, multitasking as an Art Director, Offline Editor and Producer.

For seven years in PB&F, every week (52weeks x 7 years...imagine that), I'm required to produce a weekly movie sponsorship TV promo, Dunhill Double. Just like my later years in G2, executing Twin Packs after Twin Packs, Dunhill Double can be very demoralising and mundane as the movies sponspored can be repeated...

Therefore, every week, I gave myself some new challenges and I celebrated my small accomplishments every time I did something new or different (Although the TV audiences might not even notice any differences...hahaha...).

Up until a point, the Head of Dunhill then, Dato Cheah Teng Lim, do not even need to see and approve the Dunhill Double Promos before it goes on air which confirmed that my approach was right. From that, I also built a "Trust" amongst the BAT guys...they know that I would only give them the best of my abilities. My effort in challenging myself "To do better than the last, every time" was worth it.

The Dunhill Double example is what I would proudly use to explain to my guys especially when they ask me about my feelings on doing the same thing over & over again as well as how I "Psych" myself up every time.

To be honest, meeting personal goals is not difficult, challenging yourself to go above and beyond the expected result is the real deal.

Doing what needs to be done is also simple, "Thinking" & "Understanding", further and deeper on what you're doing can also achieve (apart from meeting tangible objectives) are the essential of progress and growth, both in work and in life.

Of course, Thinking and Understanding without the Doing will not lead you anywhere...actions that follows the "Thought Process" to seek the next level of improvement is the key to unlock a lot of doors.

Like I mentioned in "An Intro", I was doing it subconsciously but at least, that was my approach. That was "How I was doing it". I didn't realise then, that my progressive approach, eagerness to learn and challenging my own limits can lead to many more opportunities.

I am not implying that I am successful but I like to believe that my success is not far away...hehehe...
After all that, I'm still me...a Chun Toi with Cracks (Nobody's perfect)!

1 comment:

  1. go on writing, i will read your chun toi stories.
    give us funny stuffs la... like how u chui sui in bat n shit

    ReplyDelete